The Meetup Pillow

Thursday, August 9, 2012

I was recently lucky enough to meet up with some of my crafty cyber friends in real life!

At my first meet up, I connected with a fellow Craftster moderator and her friend from quilting guild. We spent a couple of days crafting, laughing, watching olympics, eating and drinking a glass of wine... or seven. They are both very talented quilters so I tried to suck up as much of their seamstress knowledge as I could.

They taught me a neat technique for piecing blocks that I used to create this patchwork pillow.














I started by sewing the reddish-orange block not knowing what it would eventually become. I just wanted to practice and use up some of my scrap hoard.














Shortly after I finished, I started brainstorming a project for my next meet up with Seattle area Craftster members. I decided that the I should turn my practice block into a pillow!

Since I hadn't originally planned for the block to become a pillow, the size wasn't quite right for the rectangular form I had on hand. No problem! I just created another small block in contrasting colors to fill in the extra space.

I used linen to connect the dots and this is the result!



























I finished the back with a couple strips of fabric for an extra pop.














It's not perfect by any means but I'm happy that I finished a sewing project with minimal cussing!

The pillow was given away as part of a Yankee swap we did at our meet up. It was so much fun and we've all agreed that another meet up is in order very soon!


11 comments:

Allegory said...

So cute! Love making that block design. And mixing blocks with linen!
I think it's a fabulous pillow.

Suzy said...

Gosh I LOVE it!!!! I love those colors together!!!

Pam Fields said...

Your eye for color always blows me away. I love how the pillow turned out. And...I am so jealous of the wine drinking stitchy party! ;)

Shirley Tener said...

I think the pillow shape is great for this project and love the colors too. I hope you share the piecing tutorial

Nancy said...

It turned out really cute! I need to start doing something with my scraps;)

kittykill said...

This is so wonderful!

Kee said...

Very cute! I love the backing. That would be a nice design for a separate pillow (and way closer to my skill level ;))

Angie said...

Ah, the pillow... So, so pretty.

Leslie Andersen said...

Great pillow, great colors, lucky you for meeting up with Craftster peeps!

Rebecca White said...

I love this pillow! Great colors! Awesome piecing! Ha ha love that foundation!

ruby murray said...

Just catching up on all your posts I've missed. I love the colours you used, Quilting kinda scares me but this is so pretty, I have a ton of scraps that I should really get into. Another beautiful project Lime.

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger