Pillow Fit!!

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

This pillow was made for my partner in the Vintage Halloween swap and I'll confess, it gave me FITS!!

I'm terrible at measuring and math hurts my brain so I lean toward a guess and check method when piecing patchwork. Unfortunately this method often leads to hours with my seam ripper taking things apart and putting them back together in a new configuration. 

That was the case with this creation until I finally decided to flip the pillow from horizontal to vertical! It all came together with minimal un-doing once I made that shift.


I found the quote online and stamped it onto a piece of oatmeal colored linen fabric. The cats were painted to the same fabric with fabric paint and the freezer paper method for stenciling. To make them pop a bit more, I back stitched around them with bright orange DMC embroidery floss.


All of the other fabrics came right from my stash!! It's good to use up scraps but I do always love an excuse to go to the fabric shop.


This size still isn't quite right but I say it's good enough!! My partner liked it and that's really all that matters.

Hope you're all having a good week!

12 comments:

Skwishee said...

Cute!

I'm the same way. I can never seem to make myself sit down and measure things out. Or plan. It's why I like making square and rectangle shaped projects.

I find things work best for me when I draw my project full sized and then cut it out for a pattern. I generally end up with what was in my head without all the figuring; and bonus, I already sort of know that it will look the way I want.

Leslie Andersen said...

So cute! That's a lot of words to stamp; I would have surely messed them up before I reached the end. The orange stitching around the cats is the perfect little touch to make them pop and to bring the colors together. Nice work!

Nancy said...

Beautiful! The orange embroidery really makes it pop. I'm with you- math hurts my brain. Glad you figured out a suitable solution!

Flaming Nora said...

Oh fantastic! I love the quote.

craftmates said...

Did you use fabric paint to stamp the quote? Lovely pillow!

Pam Fields said...

No one would have ever guessed that you had issues with the pillow! It is adorable. I love the stamped quote, the painted cats and the orange stitches around the cat! Anyone would love this fun Halloween decoration. :)

Jenelle said...

Well all's well that ends well! It turned out beautifully :) I really like how you printed the cats and added the embroidered border around the shape. The kitties kind of glow now. ;)

Heather Hands said...

Very cute. Sometimes I get so frustrated when making pillows. Looks like all of your hard work has paid off.

Duni said...

Love the pillow, especially the cat with the orange stitches! Cool.
I'm too impatient to do the math, I usually just figure it out as I go along :)

waggonswest said...

Your precision in stamping and painting more than makes up for any perceived problems piecing. This is a lovely pillow.

Tania said...

I love it. And it was never destined to do 'horizontal'.

Gaby said...

I love it! You have some very lucky swap partners :)

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger