Dewey Decimal Bag

Saturday, April 6, 2013

April is proving to be a busy month around the Lime Riot household! We've had birthdays to celebrate, family to gather with, veterinarians to visit, TONS of work to do and a business trip to India to plan for. .. and this is just the first week!

With all of the real-life chaos around here, crafting and cyber-time has been a luxury I haven't been able to afford. In order to steal a few much needed quiet creative moments, I popped out of bed before 6am this morning, poured myself a big cup of coffee and headed straight to my craft room!

I emerged a few hours later with a new project completed.


I (insanely) purchased a lot of yarn for a knit afghan recently and needed a larger project bag to store and carry the supplies in so I made this reversible tote.

The little yarn design was stenciled with fabric paint onto a piece of linen. And what are those mysteriously random numbers - 746.43??


746.43 is the Dewey Decimal number for knitting books! The idea was inspired by this adorable fairy tale pendant. When I saw it, I thought of a million different Dewey categories that I wanted to look up! You can find numbers for everything from Antiques to Zoology on this site.

The back is a simple patchwork design and I made it reversible so I could use it for things other than knitting projects once my afghan is finished, in 100 years!



Now that I have the supplies and the project bag, I can officially get to work on my afghan. I predict it will be finished by winter 2041.


I made another Dewey Decimal project while I was sequestered in my craft room today and I plan to give it away to one of my readers!! Stay tuned for a chance to win in the next couple of days.

I hope that your month has been a bit more peaceful than mine! Thanks for being patient with my random comings and goings this month. Normalcy should return in May :).


16 comments:

craftmates said...

What a fabulous bag! Hope you find more crafting time soon! - Irma

craftmates said...

What a fabulous bag! Hope you find more crafting time soon! - Irma

Jenelle said...

I love your clever knitting bag! The stencil turned out wonderfully. Where in India are you going? I spent time there in the south when I was a student.

Kat said...

What a lovely bag...the Dewey Decimal idea is so clever! Hope life calms down again for you and you get a bit more creative space!

Flaming Nora said...

Well done you, a very productive morning! My April has been every bit as hectic as yours. I too am predicting May before normal service fully resumes. Love the idea of the Dewey Decimal system numbers.

kittykill said...

So great! I love the color combo!

Laura said...

OMG I absolutely love your dewey decimal idea!!

Leslie Andersen said...

I love the bold yet simple design of the outside of this bag; and the reversible option is wonderful. So useful! So stylish!

Memories for Life said...

Sounds like a busy time! But I'm glad you found some time to be crafty :) Love the new bag...the colors and the fun theme!

jusaweecatnap said...

Great mix of patterns and colors. Love the simple blocks, and the checkerboard is fun, too. Cute idea for the graphic and the number!

Lori said...

LOVE the dewey decimal idea. Thanks for writing.

Anonymous said...

Valuable info. Fortunate me I discovered your web site by
chance, and I'm surprised why this twist of fate did not happened earlier! I bookmarked it.

My web site - euro kings card share

Zakka Life said...

Love, love, love the Dewey Decimal concept! Saw your journals posted above too. They look great.

Trekky said...

That is beautiful and I like the Dewey decimal addition.

Have fun in India, I hope it isn't all business, and there is a chance to do some sightseeing.

Anonymous said...

Hmm, diԁ you create this yourself ρersonally since lookeԁ at this
on twіtter аlreаdу.
..

Visit my ρаge; Achica.com vouchers

Additionsstyle said...

Great bag, I love the idea of the Dewey Decimal system and that the bag is reversible.
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

LIME RIOT All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger